Petworth was the name of the 205-acre country estate of John Tayloe III, likely named for the ancient town in West Sussex, England. The estate was bequeathed to his son Benjamin Ogle Tayloe, located at the northeast corner of 7th Street Pike (later known as Brightwood Avenue, now Georgia Avenue) and Rock Creek Church Road. In the early 1900s, the expansion of a streetcar line along Georgia Avenue to the border of Silver Spring, Maryland, made Petworth more accessible. Many of the thousands of similar brick row houses in the neighborhood were constructed by Morris Cafritz and by D.J. Dunigan Company in the 1920s–1930s. Dunigan donated the land that became the site for St. Gabriel’s Church and School next to Grant Circle.
Since 2006, the Upshur Street Art and Craft Fair has been an annual event in December. The Petworth Community Market, a farmer’s market, is held along 9th Street between Upshur and Taylor Streets weekly on Saturdays from May through October. The market features produce, local vendors, and prepared foods. The Petworth Jazz Project is a free music series of jazz performances held at Petworth Park at 8th and Taylor Streets from May through September. The two-and-a-half story Georgian Revival Petworth Neighborhood Library building opened in 1939 at the corner of Georgia Ave. NW, Kansas Ave. NW, and Upshur St. NW. In addition to providing access to DC Public Library general circulation items, the library’s collection includes a Spanish Language collection, job and employment literature, and Adult Basic Education materials. In June 2009, the library underwent a two-part renovation and re-opened on February 28, 2011.